A Notary Public is a lawyer who has extra qualifications to provide notarial services which include:
- Attesting Powers of Attorney and other documents for use in countries throughout the world.
- Certifying documents relating to companies registered at Companies House or in foreign Commercial Register. Assisting with documents required to set up a company abroad.
- Applying for legalisation of documents at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (sometimes called obtaining an apostille) and for legalisation when necessary from the relevant Embassy.
- Administering Oaths, Affidavits and Statutory Declarations for Scotland and foreign jurisdictions. Certifying copies of academic qualifications, passports and other documents.
- Affidavits confirming freedom to marry (often required to marry abroad).
- Documents for foreign adoption applications.
- Attesting Spanish Wills.
Notaries are principally involved with notarising and certifying documents which are accepted as totally valid in foreign jurisdictions. The task of a Notary is to verify the identity and address of the signatory and his/her capacity and intention. A Notary’s work is all about verifying facts and making checks concerning the contents of the document.
A Notary would require you to sign the document in his presence and stamp and emboss his seal and obtain an apostille if necessary.
A Notary will charge you a fee for carrying out his notarial services. In some instances, a fixed fee may be agreed with you. A primary function of the Notary is to identify the client who is signing the document. If the document needs to be notarised on behalf of a company then the Notary would need to establish the signatory has authority to represent it. The Notary owes a duty of confidentiality to his clients. The Notary is required to retain details of the transaction including a copy of the notarial act and the personal identification documents.
This note contains a brief summary of the notarial services and what a Notary Public does. If you have any questions about notarial services or would simply like further information about the Notary Public services please contact Pam Deol, a Notary Public, at firstname.lastname@example.org or www.pamdeol.co.uk or by phone on 0121 227 3878 or 07841051384.