Thursfields has a specialist telecoms team which is dedicated to providing practical, legal and commercial solutions to businesses and landowners working in this sector.
The team has in-depth experience acting for landowners negotiating with telecoms providers for the installation of electronic communications apparatus, including fibre, rooftop antennas and dishes and greenfield towers. The team has negotiated countless agreements with telecoms providers over the past 11 years in this field. Sector experience is essential when negotiating these agreements, given the extensive protection provided to operators pursuant to the Electronic Communications Code – which enjoy security of tenure and various other statutory rights under the Code. Negotiating positions on rents and other matters have hardened since the implementation of the new Electronic Communications Code in December 2017, and it is more important than ever to take specialist advice.
We also act for operators with the protection of the Electronic Communications Code, advising on the grant of wayleaves for the installation of fibre. We act for internet service providers and non Code operators installing apparatus. We help start-up business in this sector with their aggressive growth strategies to become more appealing to external investors by advising on SEIS and EIS schemes, and with meeting the demands of venture capital and other forms of private equity investment.
John McLean, who leads the Telecoms team at Thursfields has lectured regularly in the East and West Midlands and Marches regions over the course of 2017 for the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors on the changes implemented by the new Electronic Communications Code and the impact on landowners and operators alike.
We provide corporate, commercial, intellectual property, employment, commercial property, dispute resolution and insolvency services to our clients in this sector. Thursfields also have an experienced team of lawyers who can look after the wealth protection and personal matters of business owners and entrepreneurs.
Some examples of recent sector work carried out by our lawyers include:
- Advising a Local Authority in Hertfordshire regarding the renewal of its entire portfolio of leases with CTIL and MBNL.
- Advising landowners regarding the installation of telecoms equipment on their property, and the negotiation of an appropriate Code Agreement.
- Advising a Code operator on a new wayleave to be compliant with the new Electronic Communications Code, and rolling out a programme of wayleaves.
- Advising a Code operator on potential enforcement of Code powers against a Local Authority.
- Advising an ISP on a licence agreement for the installation of apparatus.
Examples of the team’s in depth experience from previous work include:
- Acting for the midlands based Water and Sewerage Undertaker for 9 years managing their portfolio of telecoms leases. This included renewal projects with Vodafone, 02, then later CTIL and MBNL, as well as numerous requests for fibre from BT, Virgin Media and other providers.
- Acting for a national operator of restaurants, pubs and bars in negotiating and agreeing wayleaves with BT, Virgin Media and other providers.
- Acting for an international clearing bank in negotiating and agreeing wayleaves with BT, Virgin Media and other providers across their national portfolio of bank branches.
Getting clear, concise and strategic legal advice from a sector specialist is a must for all proactive businesses working within the telecoms sector or landowners affected by it. Bringing Thursfields on board as part of your successful team could be vital in moving it forwards. Contact us today for a free, no obligation discussion on how we can help you protect and add value to your business.
John McLean – https://www.thursfields.co.uk/person/john-mclean/
Lauren Bryan – https://www.thursfields.co.uk/person/lauren-bryan/