Thursfields has a specialist team which is dedicated to providing practical, legal and commercial support to business operating in the media and creative industries.
In a fast paced and ever changing world, businesses, and those advising them have to be agile in their thinking and actions to keep ahead of the competition and to manage the ever present risks. You need to be alive to the ever changing landscape when it comes to dealing with your contracts, your customers and clients and your intellectual property.
We understand the challenges faced by our clients operating in the media and creative sector. Our impressive combination of technical skill, commerciality and sector awareness allows us to provide an outstanding level of service.
We provide corporate, commercial, intellectual property, employment, commercial property, dispute resolution and insolvency services to our clients in this sector. Thursfields also have an experienced team of lawyers who can look after the wealth protection and personal matters of business owners and entrepreneurs.
Some examples of recent sector work carried out by our lawyers include:
Film / video
- Acting for the founders of a production company to incorporate and prepare for investment using SEIS.
- Acting for a production company to prepare the suite of documents necessary to engage both talent and personnel necessary for location, filming and post production.
- Advising a production company on its exclusive global distribution agreement.
- Advising investor making significant EIS investment into an existing video production company.
- Drafting SAAS terms for video platform service.
- Setting up terms of service for an art sale online auction platform.
- Acting for a web design agency to formalise its contractual relationships with external and internationally based consultants
- Preparing vlogger influencer agreements.
- Drafting terms and conditions for a “Linked-In” training provider.
- Advising an alcohol manufacturer on the ownership and commercialisation of its portfolio of brands.
- Advising a plant breeder on the ownership and commercialisation its portfolio of brands.
- Advising a publishing house on the use of “household names” in educational publications.
- Advising on the infringement of trademarks by use of Google Adwords.
- Advising on a merchandising agreement with the owners of a famous children’s TV character.
- Provide general commercial advice to a fashion start-up.
- Advising fashion house on brand protection and commercialisation.
- Preparing affiliate marketing agreements.
- Advising an online model booking platform on their terms of service and brand protection.
Music / Publishing
- Assisting a live music venue to set up a mental health charity and thereafter to advice on governance issues.
- Providing general commercial and contractual advice to a company that provides both recording and publishing services.
- Negotiating the terms of a music licence agreement between a songwriter and charity to enable a song to be used to generate funds for the charity and as a theme to promote its activities.
- Assisting a publisher of a graphic novel to secure SEIS clearance.
- Acting for a national GWP provider with various licence agreements with TV productions companies, affiliated media companies and manufactures to bring gaming machines to market.
Print / advertising media
- Negotiating a lease over commercial premises for a print media company.
- Advising an international news agency on its lease of commercial premises.
- Negotiating a services supply agreement for advertising media with “house-hold name” finance company.
- Advising upon and undertaking a complex restructuring of a design and display family business.
- Acting for print media company with its contractual relationships with freelance writers, agents and sub-publishers.
- Acting in the merger of two video production companies.
Getting clear, concise and strategic legal advice from a sector specialist is a must for all proactive businesses working within the media sector. Bringing Thursfields on board as part of your successful team could be vital in moving it forwards. Contact us today for a free, no obligation discussion on how we can help you protect and add value to your business.
Jane Rudge – https://www.thursfields.co.uk/person/jane-rudge/ (Worcestershire / Black County)
Stuart Price – https://www.thursfields.co.uk/person/stuart-price/ (Birmingham / Warwickshire/ Staffordshire)