In the sporting arena we have advised clubs on assorted matters from renewing Leases, be they as landlord or tenant, to advising on Lottery Funding Agreements to secure grants provided to clubs from national funding bodies.
In the leisure sector we have a wealth of experience in advising various clients from corporate landlords, who may have a portfolio of pub and restaurants, to tenants taking a new lease of licensed premises.
Our combination of technical skill and sector awareness allows us to provide an outstanding level of service. We understand the issues surrounding, and the challenges faced, by our clients’ businesses.
Our team includes corporate, commercial, intellectual property, employment, commercial property, dispute resolution and insolvency services. Our private client teams look after the personal needs of our clients, whether they need a will, help to move home or advice on matrimonial issues.
Examples of work carried out by our team include:
- Advising a Worcestershire sports club on successfully acquiring funding from The National Lottery, via Sport England and England Hockey to fund construction of a new facility for the club;
- Running risk workshops for Worcester County Cricket Board;
- Establishing a charity to support the charitable activities of a non-charitable athletics club;
- Advising a Worcestershire brewery company on the acquisition and disposal of various sites, the drafting of leases for licensed premises, and subsequent refinancing of their portfolio;
- Assisting a number of sport and social clubs to safeguard their property by updating long out of date Land Registry records;
- Advising on the reconstitution of a Worcestershire sports club’s leases to a term of years allowing them to qualify for National Lottery funding;
- Securing the acquisition and funding of a high profile Devon restaurant and holiday complex as an addition to that client’s portfolio;
- Helping a client secure a lease and option to purchase on a landmark city centre premises, securing a national franchise operating from the ground floor;
- Advising West Midlands Amateur Gymnastics Association on all their legal requirements.
Our Sports and Leisure team is headed up by Tony Gibb, a commercial property lawyer with over 12 years experience in these sectors. He is supported by Jenny Smith, Head of Charity and Not for Profit Sector, and Hollie Styles and Emma Hughes who are involved with clubs associated with this sector.