Our Energy and Infrastructure team is led by John McLean, who has over 11 years’ experience acting in the energy and infrastructure sector. John was recommended in the Legal 500 2017 Edition as a Next Generation Lawyer and praised for his “excellent in-depth knowledge in sectors such as telecoms and energy”. John has a wealth of experience acting for renewable energy developers and utility companies from his time at the Birmingham office of an international law firm and also spending time on secondment in-house at the national electricity and gas infrastructure provider in Warwick. The team provides commercial and pragmatic advice to landowners dealing with energy and infrastructure providers and also to renewable energy developers.
John and the team would be delighted to assist landowners and renewable energy developers with any queries.
Please contact John McLean on 0121 227 3360 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Our team advises clients in relation to:
- Renewable and diversified energy projects – wind, solar, biomass, battery storage, and STOR facilities.
- Wayleaves – electricity and telecoms.
- Easements – water and gas.
Examples of recent work undertaken by our lawyers include:
- Business client in Birmingham – negotiating an Option Agreement with a renewable energy developer for a 7.5MW gas fired power station.
- Local Authority in Hertfordshire – advising the Council regarding electricity wayleaves with UKPN.
- Private landowner in Wolverhampton – negotiating an Option Agreement with a renewable energy developer for the development of a gas fuelled power plant and battery storage system.
- Private landowners – advising in relation to electricity wayleaves.
Examples of the team’s in depth experience from previous work include:
- Advising a JV between a renewable energy developer and an investment management firm on the property aspects of the sale of a 40MW biomass project to a renewable energy investment firm for £160m.
- Advising a JV between two renewable energy developers on the property aspects of the sale of a 44.2MW biomass power plant to a global turnkey power plant provider for £160m.
- Acting for the national Electricity and Gas infrastructure provider for two years – advising regarding easements for gas distribution and on larger interconnector schemes.
- Acting for the midlands based Water and Sewerage Undertaker for nine years – advising regarding easements for sewers and pumping station acquisitions following the introduction of the Private Drains and Sewers Act 2011.
We work closely in the Energy and Infrastructure team with our Agriculture and Estates Team, who provide strategic advice to landowners across Worcestershire and the West Midlands. Please see the sector page here for further details.