Download our Charities Legal Services Brochure to see more details of our full range of services;
Our Charities team, recommended by the Legal 500, is led by Jenny Smith who has over 15 years experience of acting exclusively for charities and other not for profit organisations. Jenny is a member of the Charity Law Association and the Ecclesiastical Law Association.
The Legal 500 makes recommendations after taking the views of clients and the professionals with whom we work – the feedback they received was that we are “courteous and knowledgeable” and that the team “quietly goes about its business, letting their work do the talking, all while giving clients the confidence they need”.
Please contact Jenny on 01905 730450 or email her on JSmith@thursfields.co.uk
Our team of specialist lawyers advise in relation to:-
- establishing new charities, charity mergers; hive-offs and closure;
- trading subsidiaries;
- special purpose/restricted funds;
- employment issues, managing volunteers and minimum wage requirements;
- identifying and managing conflicts of interest;
- Charity Commission regulatory obligations and best practice;
- property sales, leases and acquisitions; and
- giving and receiving loans and grants.
Examples of work recently undertaken by our lawyers includes:-
- Charity Commission – arranging regional meetings for Commission staff to meet charity trustees;
- Birmingham Botanical Gardens – retained solicitors providing a full range of legal services;
- Alzheimer’s Society – establish new charity for a local meeting centre;
- Severn Valley Railway Charitable Trust – charity trustee training;
- Worcester Cricket Board – risk workshops;
- Independent Churches – advised regarding governance structure and property trusts.
”Birmingham Botanical Gardens are a unique organisation and we require advice on a very wide range of issues. Thursfields have provided us with a tailor made service and an excellent response to all of our needs and we are very pleased to be working with them”.
James Wheeler, Chief Executive, Birmingham Botanical Gardens
“Jenny Smith advised us on and co-ordinated the establishment of the charity to provide a robust and appropriate legal structure. She has demonstrated a passion and commitment to helping Woundcare4Heroes succeed and grow and is a trusted advisor of the charity”.
Captain Claire Stephens, Founder, Trustee and Chief Executive Officer of Woundcare4Heroes