Download our Legal Services Brochure to see more details of our full range of services;
Our Charities and Communities Team is led by Jenny Smith who has over 17 years experience of acting exclusively for charities, schools, sports and social clubs, churches and other not for profit organisations. Jenny is a member of the Charity Law Association and the Ecclesiastical Law Association.
The Legal 500 makes recommendations after taking the views of clients and the professionals with whom we work – the feedback they received was that our charities team are “courteous and knowledgeable” and that the team “quietly goes about its business, letting their work do the talking, all while giving clients the confidence they need”.
Please contact Jenny on 01905 730450 or email her on JSmith@thursfields.co.uk
Our team of specialist lawyers advise in relation to:-
- establishing new charities including charitable incorporated organisations, community amateur sports clubs, community interest companies and community benefit societies;
- mergers; hive-offs and closures;
- trading subsidiaries;
- special purpose/restricted funds;
- employment issues, managing volunteers and minimum wage requirements;
- Charity Commission regulatory obligations and best practice;
- property sales, leases and acquisitions; and
- giving and receiving loans and grants.
Examples of work undertaken by Thursfields includes:-
- Charity Commission – arranging regional meetings for Commission staff to meet charity trustees;
- Birmingham Botanical Gardens – retained solicitors providing a full range of legal services;
- Alzheimer’s Society – establish new charity for a local meeting centre;
- Erlestoke Manor Fund – incorporate train owners association as a community benefit society;
- Worcester Cricket Board – risk workshops;
- Advising the founder of an independent special educational needs school regarding property trust matters to secure the future of the school;
- NEW College Worcester, residential school for the blind and partially sighted – retained solicitors providing full range of legal services;
- Advising a Worcestershire sports club on successfully acquiring funding from The National Lottery, via Sport England and England Hockey, to fund construction of a new facility for the Club.
- Faith-based organisations – advised regarding governance structures, property trusts and Charity Regulation issues;
- Assisting a number of sport and social clubs to safeguard their property by registering the property and/or updating long out of date Land Registry records.
”Birmingham Botanical Gardens are a unique organisation and we require advice on a very wide range of issues. Thursfields have provided us with a tailor made service and an excellent response to all of our needs and we are very pleased to be working with them”.
James Wheeler, Chief Executive, Birmingham Botanical Gardens
“Jenny Smith advised us on and co-ordinated the establishment of the charity to provide a robust and appropriate legal structure. She has demonstrated a passion and commitment to helping Woundcare4Heroes succeed and grow and is a trusted advisor of the charity”.
Captain Claire Stephens, Founder, Trustee and Chief Executive Officer of Woundcare4Heroes