James joined Thursfields as a Senior Associate at the beginning of 2018, having previously worked at Eversheds, an international law firm and for the last 10 years at Anthony Collins Solicitors LLP in Birmingham. He has been recommended in the good lawyer guide and his clients are often his keenest advocates.
He has experience of supporting a range of clients, from SMEs, larger multi-national companies, those in the ‘not for profit’ sector and charities. He seeks to provide commercial solutions to HR issues that in turn helps clients focus on their core business effectively. He regularly advises on ad hoc employment law/HR queries together with any internal disputes that arise with employees and is equally adept at advising on more technical matters such as TUPE and discrimination issues. James has an excellent track record when litigating and this makes him a solicitor of choice when an employment tribunal claim is issued.
James has an approachable nature and is passionate about achieving ‘success’ for his clients. Whilst he seeks to build strong relationships and is easy to work with his steely determination helps to achieve results.
Key achievements include:
- A secondment at a HR department of a large multi-national company. This role allowed James to understand first hand the varied pressures a HR department faces and the commercial issues that are involved in solving them. During his time on secondment he advised the HR team on multiple issues such as a key TUPE transfer and provided tailored training to their workforce in respect of discrimination law;
- Advising on internal disputes and helping to successfully bring these to a favourable conclusion;
- Successful defence of multiple and varied tribunal actions;
- Advising senior management teams on the removal of employees from their organisation and developing a strategy to help clients do this whilst minimising the risk of a successful claim against them;
- Helping a client ‘break’ a strike action;
- Drafting employment related documents, such as handbooks, contracts and secondment agreements;
- The provision of training to client on all aspects of HR and Employment. James has excellent verbal communication skills and is praised for his ability to deliver such training with consistently high written feedback;
- Advising in respect of TUPE and in particular how practically to deal with the issues it raises.